Monday, May 3, 2010

The Call I Have Been Waiting For

As some of you may know because of Belli's special needs I have not been able to get her into a daycare in order for me to either get a job or take more classes so I can finish school sooner.  There are only a couple of daycares in our area that take special needs children and of those I have only heard great things about one.  Well after being on the wait list for 15 months I received a call today that they MIGHT have a spot for her in August.  I was so excited after I got of the phone that I almost started crying.

The way the daycare works is that they take 70% typical kids and 30% special needs kids.  They are highly accredited and just have a really amazing program for both the typical and special needs kids.  They even provide the therapy that the kids need while they are at daycare.  The reason that I say they might have a spot instead of definitely is because they will need to assess Belli's needs before they know whether or not they can take her.  Because they want to provide the special needs kids with everything they need sometimes they just aren't able to take a child at the time if they don't think they will be able to do what they need to.  But, hopefully now that Belli is doing so well walking in her walker and getting closer to independence they will be more likely to take her.

They have either a 2, 3, or 5 day program.  I am not sure that I will get a choice if they do take her.  It may just depend on what they have available.  I am really hoping for either a 2 or 3 day spot.  Instead of going ahead and getting a full time job like I had originally planned I am leaning more towards just taking as many classes as I can so I can get finished with school sooner.  So, I won't be able to afford a 5 day spot and a 2 or 3 day spot will be enough days to allow me to take more classes and have time during those days to do school work.  I could also probably get some type of part time job.

We'll see though.  I'm not going to get my hopes up too much though.  They may very well decide that they can't take her right now.  But I sure hope they do!