As many of you may know Isabelle has an abnormal curve in her spine. She has routine MRIs every six months in order to monitor the curve to make sure it is not damaging her spinal cord. The only way to fix this type of problem is a spinal fusion. A fusion on a child at her age and size is extremely rare and extremely dangerous. They do not make equipment small enough for children her size so the plan has always been to either wait until she was older or until we no longer had the choice to wait.
Today we went in for an MRI and unfortunately the curve has progressed enough to where putting off the spinal fusion is no longer an option. So far her spinal cord has not sustained any permanent damage but if we wait much longer there is a good chance this will happen. As I mentioned before this type of surgery on a child this young is both rare and extremely dangerous. Best case scenario the surgeon will go in and fuse as few of the vertabrae as possible, she will be in the hospital for a few weeks and then be able to go home. She will be in a Halo for 6-8 weeks. Worse case scenario, quite honestly, are things that I dont even want to think about. And of course there are a myriad of other scenarios between those.
As of now we do not have a date or many other details than what I described above. All I know is that it will be in the next few weeks. Right now I just ask for prayers for my strength, wisdom for the doctors who will be performing this surgery, and as little pain as possible for my sweet girl. Feel free to forward this along to anyone you think may be interested. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers.