Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Birthday and an ER Visit

Last night we finally got around to celebrating Isabelle's birthday (which was on August 1st).  Originally we were going to wait to have a party until she got the halo off so she would be able to enjoy it a little more but since she had the second fusion and will not get the halo off until the end of October or later we decided to go ahead an have her party.  We just did a last minute thing with only immediate family but it was fun none the less.  I will post pictures from the party soon.

We ended the birthday bash with a trip to the ER.  Isabelle got a little rambunctious and slipped on the floor and fell backwards.  She took a hard hit directly on the back of her halo.  This was not the first time she had fallen so at first I wasn't too worried.  I checked her pin sites in the back where she fell to make sure they hadn't moved or weren't bleeding or anything.  Everything looked fine...until I turned her around and noticed that all four of the pin sites in the front were bleeding.  Not only was she bleeding but I knew that if she hit hard enough to shift the halo enough to make the pin sites bleed that it was possible she had also hit hard enough to have knocked something loose in the back of her neck.  So off to the ER we went.

My first thought when we walked in was "Oh, s***."  It was 8 at night on a weekend so you can imagine how many people were there.  I just knew we were going to be there for hours and hours.  What I did not take into consideration was the fact that if you come into the ER with a child bleeding from the head you get moved to the top of the list and don't even have to wait.  I never in my life thought I would be glad Belli was bleeding from the head.  So off to triage we went and then immediately to a room.  We were in our room for about an hour and then they brought us back to take x-rays.  After about another 45 minutes the neuro on call came in to let us know that the x-rays looked fine.  Nothing had been knocked loose and the pins hadn't shifted enough to where they needed to be adjusted and that we could go home.  Hooray!  So after waiting about another 45 minutes for the nurse to come with our paper work we finally left the hospital around 11.  Thankfully they had an Elmo movie there and Isabelle sat in the bed with me the whole time and watched her movie.  She was so good.

So that is how we spent our Saturday night.  I hope yours was much less eventful.

On a separate note, I think I am going to have a giveaway in honor of my 100th post which is actually this post but we will pretend like it's my next one since I wasn't planning on blogging about an ER visit.  I am thinking of giving away a pair of BabyLegs of your choice.  What does everyone think about that?  Any other suggestions?  Let me know what you think!


  1. We spent last night up all night with the dog who couldn't stop peeing! Needless to say, hubby finally sucked it up and took him to the emergency vet at 4:00am. Turns out he's got an enlarged prostate and couldn't empty his bladder. $450 and 3 meds later, hubby and dog are sleeping and I'm up with the girls (exhausted!). We'll have to follow up with our regular vet in 10 days.

  2. Glad she is okay. I saw on FB where you had taken her to ER. Scared me.

    Candi mentioned Friday about going to lunch next week. Count me and the Bug in!

    A give away! Sounds good to me. I love give aways. I never win but I still love 'em.

    Kiss Belli for me and I hope to see you next week.


  3. Oh no! You must have been completely freaked out! That girl!! I'm glad nothing was knocked loose!

  4. Ouch :@ Glad everything wasd ok in the end. You have one strong princess there

  5. I am so glad everything was ok! Can you wrap her up in a big foam pad until the halo comes off?

  6. Oh, I am so glad that she was OK and that you were able to take her home Saturday night.

  7. Oh, man...I'm just catching up...I'm sorry that this was how you spent the rest of the b-day party! Hope things are good now!