Monday, December 21, 2009

Cuddles

After 5 and 1/2 months (and 4.5 hours waiting in the waiting room at Children's with kids running around wild and screaming) my baby is finally halo free.  I even have picture proof:



We got to the hospital today around 9am and finally got called back at about 1:30.  From the time they put her to sleep until we saw her after the procedure was only about 30 minutes.  The majority of that time was spent stitching her pin sites.  Apparently they were pretty bloody.

Things kind of went downhill for a little while after that.  Isabelle had not eaten since 7:30 the night before and it was way past nap time so needless to say she was pretty POed.  I haven't seen her flip out like that since she was a wee little baby and her ortho had to change her casts every week.  We took her back to her room in one day surgery and she was going crazy.  She started bucking and throwing her head back.  It was so bad we had to lay her down on the bed because neither me nor her dad could hold her.  The nurse didn't seem to find this to be a problem but her throwing her head back worried me a little bit.  Luckily when we went to leave we saw one of the other neurosurgeons who knows Isabelle and we asked him about it.  He said it was ok, the main thing was for us to not let her bend her neck the other way (like chin down).  The collar she is in will keep her from doing this for the most part but we still need to watch her.

She also has way more mobility in her neck than I expected.  From what I was told she was not supposed to have any movement in her neck at all.  I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that she does of some range of motion.  She can tilt her head to both sides (like she is trying to touch her ears to her shoulders) and earlier I noticed her turning her head side to side (like a "no-no" motion)  It is very slight but she does it.  Honestly, I am not sure if she is supposed to be able to do this or not.  I have to call the nurse tomorrow with a couple of questions I have and that is one of them.  I am thrilled that she can but I just want to make sure. 

She took a nap for about an hour after we got home.  She woke up in a horrible mood again so I sat with her in the glider and rocked her back to sleep.  It was the best cuddling I have ever had.  She seems so small and cuddly now.  Once she woke up again she was in a pretty good mood.  She is still pretty wobbly and having trouble with her balance (totally normal) so we spent pretty much the rest of the night in my dad's chair watching movies.  It was great!  See:



She is now asleep, hopefully for the rest of the night.  I will post some more pictures as soon as I take more!

18 comments:

  1. Yay for Belli! Glad it's over, and here's hoping she feels up to calling and having a great conversation with her friend "Miss Header" tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of the both of you! I can only imagine what it is like to hold her so close. Sorry she had a rough day, poor baby. All she has been through what a little trooper. Do you wonder what she thinks off all this?

    How is she doing with that brace?

    Thanks for the post! I bet you all sleep good tonight.

    And those hot pink band aids rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww... yay so excited for belli! So great to see that precious little face of hers. I hope her range of motion continues to improve like it has...Great news today!! (you and belli!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the picture of you both!!

    Oh Amanda...I'm so glad for you both. She is such a sweet girl and I am sure she will continue to amaze you.

    Enjoy those cuddles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love it!! I'm so happy for the both of you..YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news!! I hope she is feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a strong, courageous mom. That is so wonderful that your baby girl is now halo free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy for you & Belli! Such a sweet picture of the two of you together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! That's wonderful Amanda! I'm so happy for you and sweet Isabelle! She is one brave little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great news, she is such a beautiful little girl! Enjoy the cuddling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am so incredibly happy for you two!! Snuggle that babe, make up for those 5 1/2 months that you couldn't!! Lap it up, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful news! My eyes got watery reading your post. I'm so happy for you and Isabelle! Great pictures! She's such a bright eyed cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hip, hip, hooray! Belli is even more beautiful without her halo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah!!! She is such a doll, I can't imagine how happy you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so good to see your beautiful baby without her contraption on her head. I am so thrilled for you both and am still praying for complete healing with no neck brace at all! Hugs and Kisses to Isabelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh YAY!!! I bet she's soooooo happy to be halo free! The brace is probably a pain but YAY regardless and I'm so happy to hear that she's got some motion! I know when my kids are put out they are always so out of sorts that first day, and start doing better that night/next day ... I hope she's back to her normal self!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She looks great and the picture of the two of you cuddling is soo precious. I am glad she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The best Christmas gift of 2009! Isn't God's gift of our human body marvelous - to recover so amazingly from all its battering and heal so well! Wonderfully happy for Belli - and the hot pink bandaids are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete