Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bye Bye Halo, Hello Collar (Again!)

Everything went pretty well at the appointment today.  Her doctor came in the room and I asked Isabelle if she had something to ask him and she said, "Take my halo off please!"

He of course laughed and said that he was just looking at her CT-scan and although he would like there to be more bone than there is (meaning he would like to see the fusion harden a little more) he felt like the halo could come off.  YAY!!!!  So we are scheduled for Monday at 12pm to get that sucker off.

The bad part is that because there is not as much bone as he would like to see she will have to be put back in a collar.  I'm sure most of you are thinking, "So what?  She's been in a collar almost her whole life.  Big deal."  I know, I know.  Except the collar that she will be put in Monday is not the same one she has been in her whole life.  The one she will be in we used for about a week when she was around nine months old.  It's HUGE.  And it covers a lot more than the old collar.  And she has been out of a collar since July.  And...she is going to be ticked!  See how huge this thing is: 

And before you ask, yes I do realize that she is bigger now than she was then so it might not be so bad.  I hope that is the case!  Because although this picture does not show it, she REALLY hated that collar.

Ok, OK.  Maybe it was me that hated the collar and spent a week researching cervical collars online to find a smaller one that didn't cover her whole face, chest, and back, and allowed her to rest her head on my shoulder.  MAYBE it was me that called her doctor and told him she was not wearing that collar anymore and begged him to let her where this one:
















See?  Isn't that one so much better?  But, it's just not as stable as the first one so we can't use it.

Ok, I am finished with my rant now.  Even though it may not sound like it I really am happy she will be getting the halo off.  Especially since I bought Christmas outfits for her to wear =-)  Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers today!

14 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you two! I know you arent thrilled about the collar but just remember its one step closer to your ultimate goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. life is like that isn't it? out of the pan into the fire. well at least she can accessorize with some nice beaded necklaces or scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are thrilled to be done with that halo! I hope the collar isn't as bad this time around. She is bigger, hopefully that will make a difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not going to patronize you because you already know she has to wear it whether you like it or not. But what I will say is this too shall pass and hopefully things will be much better on the other side.

    Listen, we love you and Belli and if you need anything you just let us know.

    I'm so glad she is getting the halo off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the reminder Kelly! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My youngest went through the halo/collar thing at about 3 from a cervical fusion. He actually fell (from being so top heavy) and dislodged the halo at one point but I will spare you that story.

    I hear you on the blue collar. I remember how disgusting it would get after he ate! Hang in there. I know it is hard but some day you will be writing to another mom about it as a distant memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally understand the frustration with what you are going through and feeling, it's normal. You as a mom feel your child has been through so much already, but it's for safety and what is best. Hang in there!! Give her lots of extra special love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...you can do it! Isabelle is a champ! You have to keep Nick and myself updated with her! We want to see her before Christmas to give her a present...I will definitely be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel so horrible that I'm a day late with my congratulations! But that is awesome that she is getting the halo off in time for Christmsa. What a fabulous present for you BOTH!

    ~Elizabeth
    http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Tyler! It is a step in the right direction. I hope that the collar is more like the second pic since she is bigger. How long will she have to wear that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yipee!! I'm so excited for you guys!!! Hopefully the collar won't be too bad. Anything's better than the halo right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is absolutely wonderful! Praying the collar won't be too terribly bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting for her. Think of all the adorable little hats she can wear ;)

    ReplyDelete